Nicolaus von Himsel (1729 – 1764) was a Riga doctor, bibliophile and collector who was of Baltic German origin. He studied at Riga Dome School and studied medicine at the Universities of Königsberg and Göttingen. After finishing his studies, Himsel traveled across Europe collecting natural objects that augmented the collection he had inherited from his father, J. G. von Himsel, and his grandfather, Nicolaus Martini. After the death of N. fon Himsel, his mother gifted the collection to the city of Riga. In 1773 these collections were exhibited for public viewing in rooms at the Anatomy Theatre in Kalēju iela. The space was at first called the Himsel Cabinet, but was later renamed as the Himsel Museum.